Thursday, November 29, 2007

Meaning of Life

An unfortunate person is one who tries to fart but shits instead. A miserable person is one who truly enjoys a fart but can't.
I would really like to pretend that I know the meaning of life, and that I have all the answers. And there is a pressure to show your children that you do know everything that is astoundingly strong. But the truth is that there is no answer for any of it. You just make the best of what you have been given. That's it. Everyday get a little bit better at determining the best path for your life. Sure you are going to make bad decisions and mistakes, knowing how to make reparations for those mistakes is what will get you through the end of each day.
There are days when I put my kids down to bed at night, when I just want to "get it done quickly", pushing them to brush their teeth, don their pjs, and pop into bed quietly. It very rarely goes this smoothly. Rush, rush rush. There is often just as much frustration in the "getting them to bed" mode as in the "getting them up and ready for school mode". It is just the way it is.
I find that I have to constantly remind myself, that these are the times that I am going to look back on when I am 80 years olds and in my rocker. I will not get a second chance at enjoying their childhood, this is it - right now, and it will be gone before I know it.
So, I take a deep breath, smell their hair, their smooth skin on their cheeks, look into their innocent eyes and just love them for who they are right now. My beautiful kids, with all the perfections and imperfections of life, they are gifts bestowed to me, and I cherish them.

1 comment:

Maxienne said...

Thanks for fixing my messy blog!

i love you